Friday 17 April 2015

The one thing you need to know about me...

Today when we were reading Wonder, we came to a part in the story where the kids were introducing two important things about themselves to their new classmates on the first day of school. Julian chose to mention a wii game and ping pong table that he just got. Charlotte spoke about her family and their new puppy that they adopted from a shelter. After reading this chapter, we discussed what we can learn about a person from what they saw as important to share about themselves.

I asked the students to each come up with one important thing that they would want someone to know about them. Here are there responses:

Connor- I like play soccer with my dad and sisters.
Kaiden- I am very protective of my big sister because  I love my big sister so much.
Olivia- I like playing outside with Elise and Jack.
Jada- I like going outside with my cats.
Austin - Me and my family love sports so we are a sports family.
Vanessa- I like to be very active.
Benjamin- I like going on bike rides.
Kennedy- I like riding my horse Buck.
Avaya- I am proud of myself for winning first place in running.
Hunter- Me, my dad and sister like to jump on our trampoline.
Logan- I am a nice, gentle, kind and positive boy.
Isabella- I like playing cars with my brother.
Dillan- I like to dirt bike with my dad.
Spencer- I like to help my dad fix stuff.
Tristen- I like to go for long walks.
Max - I love my family.
Cheyenne- I like to play with my kitties.
Mrs. Milson- I love spending time with my family.

As I introduced the next chapter, Lamb to the Slaughter, the students all gasped! This was the perfect reaction! We had discussed this phrase earlier in the book, when August's dad was explaining his concern for August starting public school for the first time.

"So sending him off to middle school like a lamb to the slaughter..."Dad answered angrily...

As soon as the students heard the title of the chapter, they predicted that something bad was going to happen to August on his first day of school. I couldn't have been happier to witness this mature reader reaction! It made my day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2, 2020

Hello 3C parents,  Last week was a busy week. We had skating, Random Acts of Kindness Week, Pink Shirt Day, an assembly presentation and ou...