Tuesday 17 March 2015

Personification, onomatopoeia, sensory imagery...oh my!

Today we dove head first into writing the first paragraph of our stories! I took this time to introduce and model the use of personification (using human traits/verbs with non living nouns), onomatopoeia (imitation of a sound) and sensory imagery (using our senses to help paint a picture for the reader) while writing our setting introductions. After I completed the write aloud (performing the writing process out loud, modelling my thinking) students were asked to write their own setting introductions. The students were excited to get started on their stories!



These two above photos show my demonstration of personification. I asked the girls to get together in the corner of the room and to squeeze in tight, like the hay bales. We then brainstormed verbs that would be used to describe this action: crowded, stacked, piled. 

Here are a few examples of our setting introductions! Check to see if the writer painted a clear picture for you!






* When you see my writing in pen, this indicates that I was working with the student and they were dictating their sentences to me. 

First paragraph down, six to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2, 2020

Hello 3C parents,  Last week was a busy week. We had skating, Random Acts of Kindness Week, Pink Shirt Day, an assembly presentation and ou...